Terry Lumber & Supply Co. was established in September, 1940 by John J. “Terry” Montaquila who was born and raised in Peninsula, Ohio. Initially, the business was located in Boston, Ohio and was known as Terry Coal & Supply Co.
In August 1946, the company burned to the ground. The very next day, Terry, being the devoted businessman he was, set up temporary headquarters outdoors making an “open air” office amidst the ashes. He connected a telephone to a telegraph pole on the lot and used an old school desk to avoid business interruption.
With depleted resources, Terry managed to build a modern warehouse and offices on the same property. He resumed his coal and lumber supply business, added farm machinery and feed, and eventually opened stores in Peninsula and Richfield.
In 1986, after 46 years in Boston, the business moved just two miles south to its current location in Peninsula, the heart of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The move was necessary because of the formation of the park. Moving the business also enabled Terry Lumber to be adjacent to Peninsula Hardwoods, the milling operation that Terry had purchased.
In the years preceding the move, Terry’s son, Jim Montaquila, and son-in-law, John Lahoski, both left their teaching professions to join the business. Today, Terry Lumber and Peninsula Hardwoods are operated by Terry’s grandsons, Terry and John Lahoski and his daughter Judith Montaquila Lahoski.
The one-on-one service by the knowledgeable staff makes Terry Lumber different in today’s retail world. Terry’s legacy of quality and service to the customer still prevails today.